Wednesday 16 April 2014

Wilko's Weekly Waffle, just type in WWW......!!!

Have had so much fun with this website this week, Measuring Worth
Here’s just a couple of things, postal related.
This week in 1860 the first US Mail was delivered by Pony Express. The riders had to ride between 75 and 100 miles at a time, carrying loads of up to 20 pounds, each day for seven days to get paid at the time $20. Incidentally the horses were changed every 10 to 15 miles but they didn’t get paid at all!!
Meanwhile around about the same time in England a postman was paid 12 shillings a week for walking up to 16 miles a day for seven days.

This website will calculate what those wages are equivalent to now, or any year you choose. Go on yourself it’s amazing, also a bit complicated without the user guide.
I chose 2012, I also chose the income value calculation.
The Pony Express $20 equates to $3560.00 and the Royal Mail 12s 0d equates to £562.20.
One other thing the exchange rate in 1865 was $4.88 to the pound as opposed to now $1.60…….

I’m sure all of my readers can imagine for themselves how much fun you can have, especially if you use that site alongside your favourite history site!

What has happened to the good old fashioned Mother’s Maiden Name security question? Memorable place; First pet’s name; Favourite famous person. These surely don’t seriously have a place in this digital age?
Ok ok yes I know I’m only posting this to cover up my embarrassment at not recalling my most memorable place!! I guess that what comes of having both your mobile phone and savings bank accounts with a high street grocer!!

Here’s a quote that I saw on a bookshop’s bag,
 “Words cannot do justice to the pleasures of a good bookshop.”
I think that is very clever in a subtle sort of way.

So do you have problems sorting out names for your folders of photographs? No, you’re lucky!! It may be because you haven’t got as many folders to name, don’t forget I can take a 1000 pictures of nothing in half an hour! As one or two Wilko News staff members can testify to!!
One of my latest ones… codoal4. So easy hey? No stupidly enough even for me! I have to open it up to see what I’ve put in there. The 4 is April I knew that. Codoal? Cows, Donkeys and Alpacas. 
What!! You didn’t know that!!


So this picture may have the name of HAHE14

No comments: