Wednesday 23 April 2014

The Wednesday Waffle!! This week complete with side notes!

Ok – Saint George’s Day, the patron saint of England, scandalous really that more than 60% of English people don’t know when his feast day is. Compared to over 85% who know when and go out and celebrate, St Patrick’s day.
The place in the world where St. Georges Day is celebrated most – Canada. 
For St. Patrick’s Day – yes America! 
Don’t even get me started on the Scots and St. Andrew or the Welsh and St. David!!
Oh don’t mind me it has become an annual rant and it’s more tied in with flags and customs than it is to do with any form of patriotism.
Wilko News staff members, former work colleagues and a former Chief Executive* of my former workplace know better than to start me on flags! Even friends who refer to me as ‘Flagman’ only do it out of politeness so I don’t go on about it!!
(*Little side note #1 - I have no idea why I put Chief Executive with capital letters, he didn't deserve them then and he sure doesn't now!!)
Oh so now you expect me to mention how a ‘Jack’ is only on board a ship, how ‘our’ union flag can be hung up side down and how half mast is not really half mast, well I’m sorry, I am not rising to the bait!!
Happy Saint George’s Day!!!*
Psssst it is today 23rd April but you knew that didn’t you, after all look out of your window and see all the flags!!! 
(*Little side note #2 I had a sign done for my photo blog >>>HERE<<< hope it turned out ok.)

So did you avoid falling out with your loved one/betrothed/other half over the enforced four day holiday which is called Easter. Well done if you survived because statistically it is the very worst time of the entire year for domestic ‘fall outs’. This is apparently due to the fact that it is the longest time of the year that most families are forced to be together when they don’t choose to be, like for family holidays. Weather’s not that brilliant and a lot of attractions don’t fully open until half the weekend is over and then there’s arguing over the amount of eggs that each other is eating!! 
Checking around and about the Wilko News staff members I think we are all exempt from the fall out zone for various and different reasons, either through shift work or areas of work at Easter – oh and of course I can’t lose can I? Well I don’t have a significant other to fall out with!!!


How lucky am I? *
I can wait for the bus to pass my flat before I leave to go out and get it!! Now though it’s becoming dangerously competitive, albeit with myself! Now I am waiting for it to pass before I even put my shoes and coat on! And listen to this for sheer daring excitement…. Bus passes…. Turn computer off, pack my bag, put shoes and coat on and go to shop to buy some over priced item so I get the correct change for the bus on the way to the stop…… and still catch it with seconds to spare. Living on the edge stuff!! I haven’t missed it yet! Do you think I’d be telling you this if I’d missed it? Ha ha!! 

(*Little side note #3. Have you ever played that word game where the last line of a story or the last word of a sentence  becomes the first word of the next story or sentence? With that in mind re read the bit that starts... Well I don't have....... How lucky am I?) 

No comments: