Friday 9 November 2012

A history lesson of sorts.

I really didn't like history at school and for a long time after. Until maybe when I was in my thirties and very strangely enough it may have taken a trip to North America to start really appreciating it. That is so ironic and I can't believe I just wrote it!! North America and history in the same sentence!!
Political involvement, going back to school and working in a museum over the years has obviously changed all that!! I love history, especially local history but in one way it's a bit late.
Today I went and took pictures of the first house I lived in and the first church I ever went in to and was in fact christened in. It was great I love creating an adventure! With photography you have to be historically, geographically and culturally aware so it was great to take pictures of the house on St. Matthew's block of Queens Drive, Liverpool's busy ring road. A house I lived with my Mum and Dad and Grandma for four years. I don't remember anything because it was the first four years of my life.
Thereby lies a problem. I am the last surviving member of the family that had any history in that house, at that church. I have no one I can ask questions of and get answers from and that is the essence of social history, enquiring and getting answers.
Did I get pushed to the local shops in my pram or did I get a bus or even a tram? Where my first toddling footsteps down towards the church? How often did we go to church? What was on the other end of the block, before Macdonalds?
Oh this isn't about poor pitiful me!
This is about asking questions, if you can, of your folks while they are around and while you can remember the answers, whether you like history or not!! The answers that you get are invaluable especially when you yourself are on the older side!!
For your information there are a couple of pics here and more over here. No questions!!


No comments: