Sunday 2 September 2012

Weekly update!


Well it’s been quite a week I have to say!!

First off these Paralympics are the most amazing spectacles of human achievement I have ever witnessed in all my life. Extraordinary Superhumans! Every single one of them wherever they are from , whatever their disabilities, whatever their stories and however they are classified. ParalympicsGB are doing very well but that’s only part of the story. The sports are merely another part. Think on this for a moment, partially sighted Judo, wheelchair basketball, swimming for double leg amputees, blind 5 a side football! Sitting volleyball and Goalball stretch the imagination just that bit further. If you’re watching you’ll know, if you are not, you should! For me incredibly humbling and in so many ways! How dare we even mention minor health ailments or go back to bed when we are not feeling 100%?

Secondly I have to say how incredibly stressful it is when you are concerned about great friends that live thousands of miles away and they are living through a natural nightmare in the shape of Nasty Bastard Isaac, also known as Hurricane Isaac. Yeah ok also huge relief when this Hurricane goes back to a Tropical depression, power is restored to houses and everything starts to return to normal and they are all ok. But even so!! That may appear to be a very selfish viewpoint but when you are totally powerless to do anything it really is a horrible situation to be in.    

Thirdly and this is the non selfish side of pretty much the same thing. I had already done a post on here to remember the seventh anniversary of Hurricane Katrina on Wednesday. As there were some horribly ugly comparisons to be made between Hurricanes Isaac and Katrina, right down to the date, time and place of landfall on the Gulf Coast, I felt it slightly insensitive to allow for any type of Remembrance for Katrina while many of the same people were going through all kinds of the same emotions involved with natural disasters of this sort. Only now through this post do I feel it timely to Remember Katrina. Now obviously is as good a time as any to go visit the memorial as featured in that post as maybe now the need for some calm is greater than ever!

Most of you probably know I am a big fan of Formula 1 Motor Racing but today from Spa in Belgium saw the return after their August break to the racing and the first time ever I have watched it on my own satellite TV system. Welcome to my home Sky F1 HD channel, awesome, one and only word!! Yes I am eating my words to do with BBC and Rupert Murdoch and blah de blah. Serves me right maybe for being so opinionated!!

Finally and a big WOW! Doctor Who is back!! How good was that? How much did I miss it?

No comments: