Sunday 6 January 2013

ICE ICE

Ok so two programmes returned this week with the same word in the title. The word is 'ICE' and I have to say both are definite favourites of mine.
First is 'Dancing on Ice' which of all the celebrity/voting genre is really entertaining and challenging. The UK's ultimate reality TV show.
My only times on ice - at an ice rink - have ended up miserably and painfully! I have a great deal of admiration and respect for anybody who either through sport, competition or entertainment swap their shoes for skates. That includes my son who two winters on the run when he was just 18, performed, in character and on skates in "Mickey's Winter Wonderland" - but I digress. We are talking here egotistical alleged celebrities famous (ish) in their own right for all sorts of different things, acting, singing, boxing, gymnastics and many more, oh and then there's Pamela Anderson. However some of them have never been on the ice before and the majority can't/have never danced and non of them have ever danced on ice!! So with professional help and Torvill and Dean they are taught the basics of ice dance and week by week they overcome their fears and perform in front of millions on television and are judged by a panel of professional judges and the viewing public and I have to say the standard is so very high and the results spectacular.
So according to Christopher Dean, all Canadians can skate.... although most people don't even know that Pamela Anderson is in fact Canadian, right down to being born on Canada Day!!
Oh one other thing about programme one... Keith Chegwin is my twin he was born on the exact same day as me and geographically very very close but tonight it was said that he was 54, so if he can be 54 on national TV then I'm only 55 next week too!!
Incidentally these two were in the skate off week one and Pamela Anderson is no longer in it!!

The other program - this time spelt the American way - is Ice Road Truckers on its brand new series. This time actually back on ice in both Alaska and Manitoba. I'm not even ever sure why I like it. These guys and girls ride bigger egos than their trucks and than their celebrity counterparts in the other show but it is captivating in so many ways. Extreme in every way, aided by some terrific filming and computer generated accidents and things that could go wrong. I think the drivers on the Canadian roads have got it so tough but that promises to be a fantastic series.

I may of course return to these two programmes at some point in the future.

No comments: